Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Heeeeere...!

Hola:

After packing car to the roof and leaving Bham Mon afternoon, made my way 7 hours to Troutville, Virginia--2:30a.m. Woke up to a beautiful, cool, crisp day with a hint of a coming fall and the beginning of changing leaves in the Appialachins! Walked accross the parking lot to Cracker barrel where I shared breakfast with locals, a few travelers and a table of about 20. it turned out to be the Lincoln Center (NYC) Jazz Ensemble touring with Wynton Marsalis. Strange convergence, but cool. I go way back with Wynton, from the time I saw him on the first Sting/Blue Turtles Tour in Gainesville in 1986. Didn't see Wynton....

After loading up on Maryland maps and brochures at the welcome center, arrived in a warm Baltimore to my "apartment" (more on that another time), unloaded my car while "hot flashing" and sweating profusely (I don't sweat)! Visited with roommates, very bright and cool "kids", then headed to my adopted boutique hotel, the Peabody for one last luxury before starting treatment today. Had dinner at Sacha's, great local neighborhood spot. Two girls came in and sat down at the bar next to me for dessert. I heard them tell the bartender they were from Alabama. Turns out, one is in Med School at UAB, rotating through here while her friend is down visiting her from NYC where she is a struggling actress. They were from Dothan and we knew mutual people--small pea we live on!

Back to the room for the "debate", fell asleep--during and after--rolled over and crashed!

Spoke to my precious family this morning and I off to the races today! Getting my first tattoo today--in fact, 3. Three small dots triangulating around my pelvis ("the radiation field") which will, GOD willing, symbolize the permanent, "no fly zone" in which my cancer will die!

Heartfelt thank yous to all who have reached out to my family and me--it means everything to have such love and support!! The prayers, positve energy and good karma is felt to my core!

I'll keep you apprised..............Peace and be well. Doug- :)

No comments: